Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Old notes: Fixing Block

Back in July of last year, I spent a lot of time researching how I felt block should be fixed to make it useful and not overpowered. I never got around to actually writing the article, but I thought my notes might be of some interest to someone. I basically came up with a way to fix block, then used CharDev to test out what the results would look like in BiS gear.

Fixing Block:

Warriors and Paladins need 40-50% block rating and 10-15% dodge and 10-15% parry

Blocking needs to block a percentage of incoming damage.
- Same level has 50-75% damage reduction (50 is base, with SBV max contribution 25%)
- +5% for each level below
- -5% for each level above (60% vs raid bosses)
- SBV contribution scaling ends at 3000 SBV


BiS DK (25-man buffed) avoidance gear:
2 piece T8 (shoulders/chest)
26000 Armor (?)
47000 HP
31% dodge
20% parry

BiS Warrior (25-man buffed) block gear:
32000 armor
39000 hp
24% dodge
17% parry
52% block (2156, 18% DR)

Essentially, the DK was my control. Mostly wearing avoidance gear, but gemmed for stamina. The DK had 51% avoidance from dodge and parry (before diminishing returns). The Warrior has 41% with 52% block (geared exclusively for block rating). Against raid bosses, the warrior would be mitigating about 53% of the damage. The Warrior has much less health, so the extra mitigation did not seem to be that imbalanced.

I lot has changed in the game since then (DK health nerf, Warrior health buff). So, this is really more of record of my thoughts back then.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it was very clear why the much lower health was acceptable.

    My thought is that since every attack will be avoided or blocked, the maximum health doesn't need to be as high as a class that could be taking a full hit.

    If a boss hits for 15k post-mitigation, the DK needs 4 hits to be killed. Without blocking, the Warrior would only need 3. With block, the Warrior could take 5.

    Sure, it's not totally balanced, but for magic fights, the Warrior would be gimped a bit more than the DK.

    ReplyDelete